What you need to know about water damage
Let’s discuss the basics of a water damage. This information is useful for anyone who rents or owns property, seeing as a water damage could happen at any time. We’ve written other more specific blogs about different types of damage and different scenarios that you may face. For now, we are going to go over just the basics.
What is Water Damage?
Water damage is a term used to describe damages to your floors, walls, ceiling, and contents caused by an unintended intrusion of water. There can be many causes of water damages, which we will go over, but first, we must establish exactly what is and is not considered water damage.
You do NOT have damage if:
- Your daughter gets the floor in the bathroom wet after a shower.
- You spill a glass of water on the carpet in your living room.
- You accidentally splash water on the kitchen cabinets and floor while doing the dishes.
In these instances, you can simply clean the affected area and wipe up all moisture that is spilled. This doesn’t require a professional. Simply get a towel and you are good to go!
You DO have damage if:
- Your bathtub was left running, leaving an inch of water standing in your bathroom.
- A pipe underneath your sink broke, and you didn’t notice for hours.
- Your hot water heater leaked or burst, emptying its water inside your home.
- Water is accumulating somewhere in your house but you are not sure of the cause.
There are many more potential causes, but the point here is that you cannot simply use a towel to soak up these problems. If you do find yourself in a situation where your hot water heater burst, you might be presented with more water than you thought was inside your house now spilling across your living room, kitchen, or any room in your house.
This is, understandably, a frantic and alarming thing to happen, but our team at SERVPRO of Ellis County sees these cases and much worse on a daily basis and we are ready to help!
A good rule of thumb: if you are not sure whether your water emergency requires the assistance of professionals is it is better to be safe than sorry.
Give us a call at (972) 935-0827 and we can come to do a moisture check for you and find out if the extent of moisture is enough to require professional assistance.
Read our next topic:
Why do you need to have your water damage addressed?